Pages

Saturday 9 March 2013

Ippudo Sydney @ Level 5, Westfield Sydney

2 Comments

Japanese food is one of my favourite cuisines. I have never had a bad Japanese experience, and ramen is something that I can never get sick of. So when I saw all the photos, hashtags and instagrams post of Ippudo, I just had to try it. Ippudo has been in Japan for almost 15 years, and started expanding internationally in 2008. Since, Ippudo Sydney opening in early December, it continues to be a craze amongst Sydney siders. 

Ippudo provides exceptional service, where once every customer enters the restaurant all the staff say irasshaimase! Quiet intimidating at first, but when you see the whole staff turn and greet incoming guests, it is quite amazing. Also, not all the staff are Japanese, which makes it even more fun and interesting.

Steamed buns with braised pork, lettuce and ippudo original sauce 

The infamous steamed buns are a definite must have. Everything about it is was amazing, the fresh crunchy lettuce, perfectly braised pork and the hint of spice.

Ippudo original tonkatsu broth served with thin noodles, pork loin, cabbage, black mushroom and shallots with flavoured egg

I thought I would allow my first Ippudo experience to stick to original and simple flavours, therefore tonkatsu ramen with the normal garnishes. It was such a clean tasting ramen. I loved the noodles used! The egg just makes the dish that much better!

Ippudo original tonkatsu broth enhanced with special blended miso paste and garlic oil. Served with thin noodles, pork belly, black mushroom and shallots.

This is what my friend ordered. It was very similar to my dish, but with an extra punch of flavour from the miso paste and garlic oil. 


Grilled Japanese eel on rice with original Kabayaki sauce


Kabayaki sauce is similar to a teriyaki but a bit more sweet and more sticky. It is sticky due to the heating process of the sugar and soy sauce. The sauce is traditionally the marinade on eel, and in this case was also in the rice. It was a lovely bowl of flavour.


Green tea lamington with red bean centre and green tea ice cream 

Dessert time! A Japanese twist on an Australian favourite. It wasn't as spongy as traditional lamington, but still had enough cake to be defined as a lamington. The middle layer of red bean helped with the sweetness of the green tea icing that surrounded the lamington. A great way to end the meal.


Black sesame pannacotta with creamy sauce 

The pannacotta was extremely interesting. Despite the use of black sesame, there was still a smooth texture. It was a tasty dessert, but started getting sickening (unless we were just too full and were struggling).

Good food, good times!

2 comments:

Mel 9 March 2013 at 22:04

I thought it was hilarious when we walked into Ippudo and ALL the staff called out to us - the places was nearly empty so it was very LOUD! I like the ramen here...I'm still finding my ramen feet but this was up there with the best I've had.

Tina @ bitemeshowme 11 March 2013 at 22:58

HOW GOOD ARE THOSE PORK BUNS?! How I could just eat like 5 of them to myself! I quite like the ramen also, despite it being on the expensive side.

Post a Comment